Saturday 21 January 2012

Guerlain Spring 2012 Collection - Noir G de Guerlain Mascara Review

The spring Guerlain collection isn't released yet here in the UK, but luckily I managed to get my hands on the new mascara, so here is my review.


The new Noir G de Guerlain mascara comes in a heavy case just like the Rouge G de Guerlain lipsticks, with the integrated mirror that flips open once the mascara is opened. The case is gorgeous, luxurious and exactly what you would expect from Guerlain. It opens differently from the Rouge G lipsticks, first you need to pull the cap off a bit (which enables the mirror to flip open), then twist the cap to pull the wand out.

The wand itself is your traditional wand with medium sized bristles (rather than plastic spikes), it's just the right size for me and works really well to distribute the mascara. The formula is a nice consistency and it does a good job of making my lashes look longer and fuller, while the brush separates them nicely. Can't comment on its curling ability as my lashes are naturally curly. The mascara itself is scented, it has a slight flowery scent which is only obvious if you're actually sniffing the wand or the tube. It comes only in one shade, 01 Noir (black), for now anyway. You get 6.5g of mascara which I think is the usual amount.

This is apparently the first refillable mascara although I'm not too sure how you actually refill it, but I can see a little hole at the end of the tube and the top of the cap, so I'm guessing that's how you eject the old one. My mascara didn't come with instructions, but I got mine from eBay, so maybe that's why? It was boxed though and both the inside lid of the box and the sticker on the mascara show how to open it, but not how to refill. Anyway, I'll worry about that later.

Pricewise, I believe this will retail at £35 which is VERY expensive even for Guerlain, although the Rouge G lipsticks are now nearing £30, so I guess it's in line with those. Is it worth 35 quid? As nice as it is, I have to say no. I don't normally apply my mascara on the go, so I have no need for the mirror and nor would I want to carry it with me much as it's very heavy. There are other very nice mascaras around for a lot less, even Guerlain's Le 2 mascaras "only" cost £25 and I do love those a lot. But I have to say that Noir G de Guerlain is a really really nice mascara and I honestly can't fault it. Will you be indulging?

P.S. By the way, in case you were wondering, I wore Noir G de Guerlain in this picture.

See more photos after the jump!



Instructions on the sticker on the mascara

Pull the cap out a bit and the mirror opens

Twist and pull to open fully

The wand

Close up of the wand


My naked lashes for reference


My naked lashes for reference

6 comments:

  1. When I bought mine at the counter, the lady said you bring the case in to get the refill. I suspect there's a simple tool that slips into the holes to release the casing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks pretty good on your lashes, but I don't think I'll be spending £35 anytime soon.

    I actually hate paying for higher end mascaras because it tends to have such a short shelf life!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, looks amazing! I would like to try this mascara but classic brushes doesn't work for my lashes (for most of the time).

    ReplyDelete
  4. The refills of this will cost only £20, and I think it's a great mascara at that price. Agree that £35 is a hell of a price though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did!!
    I was on the fence for a year, didn't want to pay so much for a heavy mascara with a mirror I don't need, but finally caved.
    I'm LOVING this baby - it gives me a wonderful full look to the lashes, and it doesn't make them hard and crispy. All in all - a winner in my book:) will be buying refills!:)
    if you want to check out my review you can find it her e-
    http://makeup-magazine.com/guerlain-noir-g-mascara-review/
    Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...